Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hey, Hockey is Back




In celebration of the imminent hockey season, a few hockey-related artists and songs. Okay, the pre-season just ended, but my son's been playing hockey all year round, I've been in more arenas than U2, AC/DC, and Kings of Leon in 2008-2009. Plus there's a few odd NHL stories going on on this year. Theoren Fleury, a 41-year-old I played against as a kid, tried to make a comeback. Wildman Ray Emery is attempting to reclaim a spot on top of the heap, after banishment to Russia, scraps with trainers, smiling maniacally when fighting other goaltenders, and missing practices et cetera (busy retouching the Mike Tyson image on his mask?). I feel like Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie, who once told spinner.com, "I don't know how to express it to you. I'm as into hockey as a man can be and still be considered a man and not a boy."

Actually, I really just wanted to get you to listen to Hockey, a fine band from Portland. Song Away is one of the catchiest I've heard all year. Lyric samples - "I wanna write a truthful song over an eighties groove"..."This is on the rise music, this is novelty music, this is who-can-blame-me music."

Hockey - Song Away (Official Music Video)


Here's a few more.

Pansy Division - Hockey Hair -mp3 (download)



The Zambonis featuring James Kochalka Superstar - mp3 Hockey Monkey (download)



Hockey Night - mp3 For Guys' Eyes Only (download)



Richard Schiller - mp3 Hockey Rink Sad Song (Download)


Five Hole Band - Thinking Bout Your 5-Hole Mp3 (download)

No comments: