Sunday, June 5, 2011

Scott Nolan: Montgomery Eldorado and Pulling Rabbits Out of His Hat



Scott Nolan recently released a new album called Montgomery Eldorado. At the moment, I'm thinking that this Winnipeg-based fella might take on the world. His warm, honest approach to roots rock music might make it seem like he's simply pulling out songs from a hat, and maybe he is, but I'd be willing to bet that Nolan labours over his his well-wrought tunes. Well-recorded without being over-polished, rough and ragged yet easy on the ears, Nolan has pulled off a magic trick all of his own. He's not afraid to throw in some overt soul and funk flavours (My My Hey Hey), he enjoys covering junkyard genius Tom Waits songs, and he's got people like Hayes Carll covering his tunes (Bad Liver and a Broken Heart). I told Nolan's record label guy a while back that I think Scott Nolan would have a nice long career, and he grinned and gave the succinct reply: "Yeah. We think so too".

SCOTT NOLAN-MONTGOMERY ELDORADO by Transistor 66

Scott Nolan - Trial Separation



Hayes Carll - Bad Liver and a Broken Heart



Here's your bonus, Hayes Carll doing Tom Waits. Serendipity.

Hayes Carll - I Don't Wanna Grow Up (Tom Waits) by toodrunktodream

Buy Scott Nolan here or any of the usual joints (you know, iTunes, Amazon, yer local cool record shop).

No comments: