Tuesday, September 3, 2013

AA Sound System - Best Canadian Songs of All Time No. 1



This series of posts will be offering the definitive list of the best Canuck tunes ever recorded, scientifically tabulated, collated and obfuscated by the Brain of Scruff, in absolutely-not numerical order.

In 2006, Edmonton's AA Sound System released a quietly brilliant album called Laissez-Faire, produced by Danny Michel. When I received it, I listened to it every day for about 6 months - I think the tracking on this record is perfect, starting out with the mellow tones of I Don't Get You At All and building up to the noisy guitar rush of Raw Joy. But I still keep coming back to I Don't Get You At All. It's a measured song, no rush, replete with a Canadian prairie drawl, an incongruous stars-on-45 beat, and subtly fine lyrical touches. I's a grower, listen, and then listen again. That's what I did.


 AA Sound System - I Don't Get You At All

No comments: